Currently under review and will be updated for September 2018
1) This policy applies to the admission of children to 109th Scout Group - Squirrels, Beaver, Cub Scout & Scout Sections.
2) Scout Policy, Organisation & Rules (POR) does not stipulate an admissions policy for child members of the movement beyond the following:
a) Children must be between ages 5¾ and 18 years (PoR Section 3)*
b) Admissions must be open to males and females (PoR Section 3.1)
c) The decision to admit anyone to the membership of the scout group rests with the Group Scout Leader, although this can be delegated (PoR Section 3.2)
d) Members of Beavers, Cub Scouts, and Scouts forfeit membership if they leave the Group (PoR Section 3.3)
e) Non-attendance for four consecutive weeks with no explanation for absence constitutes forfeit of membership.
3) In the 109th Scout Group the Group Scout Leader has delegated the management of the waiting list and the admission process to the individual section leaders.
4) The section leader admits children to the 109th Scout Group when they become eligible by age, subject to there being sufficient places within their starting section and there is a strong likelihood that there will be sufficient space in subsequent sections in the future for the existing members of the 109th Scout Group and the new joiner.
For example a new joiner will be admitted if: there is space for them in Beavers; that there will be space for all current Beavers in Cub Scouts & Scouts when they are due to move up by age; and there will be space for the new joiner in Cubs & Scouts when they are due to move up.
5) The prospective member will be put on the waiting list if:
a) There is insufficient space for a new member. Insufficient space will be either all the places are currently full or places have been allocated to allow progression from previous sections i.e. Beavers to Cubs, etc…
b) Prospective member is below age 5 ¾ years
6) Prospective members on the waiting list naturally progress to a waiting list for the next section. A place will not be offered if the child will have less than 6 months in the section.
7) New members are selected from the waiting list when they are within 3 month of being eligible to join, in accordance with the following priorities:
a) Children of leaders and other uniformed adult members
b) Children of committee members
c) Children who have moved into the area from outside and were immediately prior to their move members of a Scout Group
d) New members to the Scout movement whose siblings are current members of 109th Scout Group
e) The length of time the prospective member has been on the waiting list
f) Children transferring from other Scout Groups within South Belfast District. This category is accorded a low priority as they may still have the opportunity to attend their previous group.
8) Children will be required to leave their current section, at the end of term following their birthday passing the age limit for their current section:
a) Beavers 8 years
b) Cubs 10½ years
c) Scouts 14 years
Exceptions will be made to this for Special Needs after consultation with Section Leader, Group Scout Leader & District Commissioner.
10) Explorer Scouts (Young Leaders) are required to leave the section on the day before their 18th birthday. This is due to safeguarding issues too complex to discuss here, please speak to a leader for more information.
11) Should a parent or guardian wish to appeal against a decision of the section leader, they should do so directly to the Group Scout Leader whose decision will be final.
*Although squirrels is a valued section in the 109th Scout Group - at present it is only run in Northern Ireland and not UK wide.
© 109th Scout Group 2018. All Rights Reserved.